Monday, September 27, 2010

What's that smell?

Oh that's right- it's our basement. In case anyone's been wondering what we have been up to this last week here is a quick update:

Last Wednesday night and Thursday day we had a huge storm. I am pretty sure we had at least a few inches of rain. Thursday Adam called to tell me the roof was leaking. Later he sent me a text that the basement carpet was soaked. Great....

The roof ended up not being a huge issue (yet) but the carpet was saturated. No matter how many times we ran the shop-vac, it was not drying up.

And the smell was getting worse by the day....

I tried putting down some baking soda. That failed.

I looked online and read that a cut up onion will eliminate basement odor. Nope.

I even tried using my trusty Sham-Wow to soak up the water under the carpet just like they show on the infomercial. Sham-Lame.

So Sunday night we finally gave in and tore up the carpet. The padding was completely drenched and had to be ripped up. We are trying to salvage the carpet and save a few bucks.







Anytime I do something stupid Adam likes to be a smart-ass and ask me: "Did you learn anything?"

Well, I suppose I did learn a few things from this experience:

1. Long leaders off your gutters are important.

2. Wet carpet smells horrible.


3. It is also ridiculously heavy.



4. We have some awesome friends and roommates.

 

5. A cut up onion is not as powerful at eliminating basement odor as you might expect.



2 comments:

  1. OH MY!!!!! What a J-O-B!!!!!! Good info to use for the future! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you find any mice down there? ;)

    ReplyDelete